Remember how we discussed how to approach talking about money a couple of weeks ago? Well, today, we’re discussing what to talk about once you start The Money Talk. These are the questions that you need to know the answers to. Listen, I’ve been (legally) married for over a year now and married for 5 months and I’m here to tell you – we’ve already dealt with about half the issues on this list. Luckily, we’d discussed money before getting married so the money bumps have only been that – bumps… not mountains.
Married Mondays: Money Matters - Questions to Ask about Money and Finances
- Do you think you are a saver or a spender?
- How much money do you think should be in the bank to feelsecure?
- Do I each need to explain every $20 I spend? $50? $100? What’s the cut-off for “fun money”?
- How much credit card debt do you have?
- Do you have an outstanding loans to any individuals (this includes family)?
- Do my spending habits ever make you upset or nervous?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you worry about our financial state? Why?
- How much cash do you need in the bank to feel comfortable?
- What do you think should be our primary financial priority?
- How do you feel about joint accounts and/or separate accounts? Or merging our money?
- If one of us gets a surprise bonus, how do you feel it should be used (splurge or savings)?
How many of you have tackled The Money Talk? Was it tricky? No big deal? Do you wish you had handled it differently? We’ll be talking about this lots more in the coming months plus tackling your concerns about post-wedding sex, babies, decorating, cooking, chores, family… basically EVERYTHING after the wedding! Have a topic or issue you’d like to see Tulle Nation tackle on Married Monday? Leave a comment or email me!