In today's 5 for 5, I'm offering suggestions on how to save money on wedding catering (On the 5th day of every month, I share a downloadable infographic with my Top Five Budget Tips for a specific facet of wedding planning).
Hope this helps y'all find your perfect, budget-friendly wedding catering! (click the image below for a free PDF!):
Top Five Budget Tips for Wedding Catering
- Host a cocktail/hors d'oevres only reception. Skip the passed hors d’oeuvres altogether and pile cocktail tables high with beautiful spreads of finger foods. You’ll save money by paring down both on food preparation and staff.
- You may be wild for Beef Wellington or crazy for cassoulet, but these labor intensive dishes take more time and expense than other equally delectable dishes. To keep costs down, choose simple, easy to prepare entrees.
- There’s no rule that says you must give reception guests their choice of entrees. To stay within your budget, ask your caterer to create one widely appealing main course - a fabulous pasta primavera.
- Contrary to popular belief, buffets can actually be more expensive than a sit-down dinner. With a seated meal, you can limit the portion sizes and food selections of your guests (thus saving you money).
- After a sampling of hors d’oeuvres and drinks, a three-course meal that includes a soup or salad, entrée, and finishes with wedding cake is plenty of food for your guests. Remember, most people don’t order that much food when they dine at their favorite restaurants. Say “no” to your caterer’s suggested additions.