There are several hot button issues associated with any wedding and today, we're tackling The No Kids Issue. Specifically, why it's NOT ABOUT YOU if you're invited to a wedding but your kids are not. Here's the deal, I adore kids and we had tons of them at our wedding. But it was easy and totally possible for us to do so. The wedding was at our house, outside, and featured a simple buffet catered by us. Lots of room for the kids to play and run around safely and no dealing with a kid's menu. But other people's weddings aren't like this and many times, their hands are tied on the whole kids at the wedding issue. Here's some real reasons why, if your kids aren't invited to a wedding, it's not personal:
Image Courtesy of: Miranda Laine Photography
- Fire Codes. Yep, they're a VERY real issue with wedding venues and places are super strict about them. Some even specifically limit the number of people under 18 or 12 even allowed at the venue!
- Insurance. Again, another BIGGIE with wedding venues. They can be held liable for lots of different potential issues so they have set policies in place on who is and isn't allowed at the venue for certain events.
- An Open Bar. Look, an open bar is awesome at a wedding but in some places/cultures it can lead to inappropriate or even illegal behavior. NO BUENO for kiddos.
- Budget. The number one easiest way to have a wedding come in on budget is to limit the guest list. That can mean no plus ones, no one outside the immediate family, and yes - no kids. It truly is JUST a money thing.
- The Menu. Most weddings feature food that the couple considers "special" or "fancy" and kids generally don't like that kind of food. Which means that now, seperate kid's meals meals have to planned, ordered, prepared, and served - and paid for. Again, it's purely a MONEY thing.
Did you or are you planning to have kids at your wedding?