All hail the lazy bitches! We're the ones who would rather pin pretty stuff on Pinterest than actually get off our asses and DIY them. We're the ones who opt to let our partner plan the entire honeymoon because it allows us to spend that time cleaning out our DVR. Yes, we are alive and well in the wedding community - though we're enjoying said community reclining on our collective bums.
Image Courtesy of: Miranda Laine Photography
But alas, if you want a wedding on a budget - it does take work and work means... well, working. But have no fear, fellow lazy bitches! I've rounded up my best tips and ideas for finding a wedding cake on a budget (and not breaking a sweat).
The Lazy Bitch's Guide to Finding a Wedding Cake on a Budget
1. Right off the bat, forget boutuiqe abkeries and fancy wedding cake shops - they are too expensive for us and generally take an entire DAY to do the wedding cake tasting thing. All day to taste on like, 5 cakes? Pffft. No. Instead, go to a mid-sized bakery where you can usually taste 5-10 samples with little hassle and in a few hours. Bing, bang, done.
2. Know what cake you want already? Cruise your local supermarket bakery for a solid deal. Sometimes it's a knock-off. Sometimes it's not exactly the flavor you're looking for. Sometimes it just needs a few fresh flowers to liven it up. But generally, you can find yourself a good deal AND do it while knocking out your grocery shopping at the same time.
3. Try Craigslist. No really, there are TONS of people who do up wedding cakes in their spare time and most are a steal. If you're worried about bad design or gross flavors then ask questions and take someone with you to try some samples. Your best timesaver is to post a picture or sketch of exactly what you want in the "gigs" section and request emailed quotes and references.
4. Delegate. Seriously, if you know what you want - why not have a friend or family member track it down for you? This is a task to palm off to someone dying to help... then just show up for the tastings.
5. Skip the traditional cake and opt for something easier. Like pies or doughnuts or cheesecake. Just buy a few different ones and then display them on pretty cake stands. Easy peasy, pumpkin squeezy!
What are your lazy bitch tips for finding a wedding cake?