I've been seeing loads of First Dance song recommendations floating around the Internet lately and they are all wonderful. However, they are all aimed at heterosexual couples.
That's nice but our ever evolving country is seeing a greater need for recommendations for gay and lesbian couples getting married – not all love songs are appropriate for all love stories.
Gay and Lesbian First Dance Wedding Songs
So, I did my own. Each of these songs is perfect for gay or lesbian wedded couples because the lyrics do not directly refer to a boy/girl love story. Some don't mention the sex of the couple at all. Holla!
For the Ladies:
- Wedding Song – Tracy Chapman
- Power of Two – Indigo Girls
- I Kissed a Girl – Katy Perry
- Something to Talk About – Bonnie Raitt
- On the Street Where You Live – Linda Eder
- I’m In Love With A Girl – Big Star
- Let Me Tell You About Her – Elvis Costello
- I Saw Her Standing There – The Beatles
- Girls Just Want To Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper
- My Girl – The Temptations
- What Makes You Beautiful – One Direction
For the Gents:
- In My Life – The Beatles
- All of My Life – Irving Berlin
- My Boyfriends Back – The Angels
- Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart – Judy Garland
- If I Should Fall Behind – Bruce Springsteen
- Let's Hear it for the Boy – Deniece Williams
- We Danced – Brad Paisley
- Walking On Sunshine – Katrina And The Waves
- No Finer Man – Linda Eder
- Time After Time – Cyndi Lauper
- A Simple Love – Melissa Etheridge
- Can't Help Falling in Love – Elvis
- Everything I Do (I Do It For You) – Linda Eder (a MUCH better version than Bryan Adams)
- Your Song – Elton John
- Many Rivers to Cross – Jimmy Cliff
- It Had to Be You – Harry Connick, Jr.
- To Make You Feel My Love – Bob Dylan OR Billy Joel OR Garth Brooks OR Adele (each version is great)
- Born This Way – Lady Gaga
- Bless The Broken Road – Rascal Flatts
Can anyone think of any additions to the list? What song did you (or a friend or family member) use for a first dance song? Why was that song so important? Please share!