I'm short on time today and feeling goal oriented. So y'all be gettin' a Listy McListerson post with lots of pretty images for inspiration. That's right, today I'm sharing our plans for the kitchen remodel!
Straight up – our kitchen has pissed me off since I first started visiting The Boy. My running joke is that I don't know what man designed it but he obviously lives with his Mommy. Because the layout and function? A W F U L. And don't even get me started on the ugliness – it's like the 70's made out with that awful Southwestern phase in the 80's. Gag me with a spoon. Need proof? Voila.
Shut up. I KNOW. So obvs, something needed to be done. We're right smack dab in the middle of the doing but I wanted to share the process with y'all. Long before we started the remodel, I tore images from magazines and pinned the crap out of Pinterest for ideas and inspiration. The Boy is super visual so I needed lots of images showing him exactly what I wanted (we've tried communicating through mime but, alas, it was no bueno). After years (seriously, YEARS) of collecting images, I culled through those puppies and came up with a working plan of attack. Keeping in mind that this isn't our forever home and I needed to stay on top of resell value and the budget, here's what I came up with:
Purdy, right? The remodel will mostly be a huge overhaul on traffic and function but I'm also adding some pretty. Here's a rundown of the design:
- Lots of white and classic lines.
- Grey lower cabinets + white upper cabinets + wood accents.
- Classic white subway tile in a running bond pattern.
- Some butcher blocks countertops mixed with more durable quartz ones.
- Pops of fun colors via small appliances, fabrics, and bits here and there.
- Open shelving + cabinets whereever it makes sense.
- Include some industrial touches and rustic bits for warmth.
- Think coastal cottage but very clean and organized.
As far as what exactly we need to DO…. well, here's that exhaustive list:
- Gut kitchen.
- Rework the traffic flow (move front door).
- Move appliances to more functional locations.
- Add windows to future dining area.
- Rework storage by moving cabinets up to the ceiling and adding floating shelves.
- Install new cabinetry.
- Install new countertops.
- Add more lighting.
- Add backsplash.
- Add eat-at island with storage.
- Install wood flooring.
- New hardware and fixtures.
- Build kitchen table.
- Get new dining room chairs.
- Build a banquette for dingin area.
- Add a pantry.
- Add a desk/mail center.
- Add some fun storage/play spots for Melanie.
- Make opening to living room smaller but still allow for great sightlines.
- Add crown molding and baseboard trim.
- New sink and faucet.
Phew! Right? Any of you tackling a kitchen remodel?