Picture it. Alaska. 2020. There was a pandemic on and times really sucked.
Remember then? I do. I was supposed to be looking forward to hosting Easter in our new house in Alaska with all my family here and my kids playing with lots of cousins.
Doctored Up Cake Mix Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
I also wanted something chocolatey because everything sucked and chocolate made me feel better and DON'T JUDGE ME I WAS HUNKERING.
Also, since we had only moved a few months before and hadn't had a chance to rebuild our pantry, I was missing some key ingredients for making chocolate-y goodness. Like cocoa powder.
So, what's a lazy ass mom like me supposed to do? Whelp, I *did* have some chocolate cake mix soooooo….
I made it work.
Did you know that with a few extra (easy to get) ingredients, you can doctor up a chocolate cake mix into some incredibly tasty and moist chocolate cupcakes?
Top them of with my favorite (and also incredibly easy to make with ingredients you probably already have) homemade strawberry buttercream frosting and you've got yourself a GOOD TIME.
- 1. Mix the first six ingredients together.
- 2. Bake as instructed on the cake mix box.
- 3. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- 4. To make the frosting, first mix the butter until it has a creamy texture.
- 5. Add the vanilla and mix.
- 6. Use a sifter or bowl and mesh strainer to "sift" the powdered sugar until all the lumps are gone (do not skip this step or your frosting will be grainy).
- 7. Mix the sifted powder sugar into the butter/vanilla mixture.
- 8. Add the pureed strawberries to the sugar/butter/vanilla mixture.
- 9. Add more sifted powdered sugar if the frosting seems too thin.
- 10. Frost cupcakes and add sprinkles (because sprinkles are a gift from the goddesses, y'all).
- 11. Enjoy!
You can easily alter the frosting recipe by using chunkier bits of strawberry, using a different kind of berry, or by adding a packaged of softened cream cheese to the butter mixture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 dozen Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 982Total Fat: 89gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 61gCholesterol: 444mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 18g
I mean… SO EASY, right?!?!
I love these because, while I do love to bake cupcakes and do it a lot, sometimes – I'm just not into it, or I don't have the time, or we're low on groceries and I'm using what I've got.
And for those of you just learning how to bake – this is fantastic. No precise measuring or weighing needed.
Just some basic dump and mix plus a little bit of “fancy” for the frosting.
And honestly, after I left home and actually started cooking and baking for myself?
Jonesin' for more AWESOME cupcake recipes?
Here's a few fantastic ones that my friends are sharing on their blogs right now:
Houseful of Nicholes – Red Velvet Cupcakes
How Was Your Day – Elegant Champagne Cupcakes
In the Kids Kitchen – Narwhal Cupcakes
Someday I'll Learn – Coffee Cupcakes
Sugar Spice and Glitter – White Chocolate Cupcakes
I want to make each and every one of these and shove them in my face because OMGYUUUMMMMMYOMG.