It's one of my favorite times of year.
This year, we'll again be hosting my nieces and their kids (yay!) so I'm starting to look at fun projects they can do in the days leading up to the holiday and even some quick, not-much-mess crafts they can do on the day of.
This kid's Thanksgiving turkey puppet DIY would be an awesome option!
It's really easy and needs little to no adult help (The Best Projects, in my opinion).
Kid's Thanksgiving Turkey Puppet DIY
I like to keep a small container of random “arts and craps” (as Melanie calls it) around for these kinds of crafts.
If you're not a weirdo like me, most of the items can be picked up for a few dollars total.
Which makes this both affordable, easy, AND freaking adorable!
Making It With Kids
Finnegan and I made a couple of these together a few days ago and he was SO proud of being able to use “real glue” (i.e. not a glue stick) glue to attach the feather.
It was also a great project for him to practice using scissors.
He has a hard time with using scissors because of his autism, so this project really works on those manual motor skills that he struggles with.
Melanie had all the needed skills to make the craft by herself but really loved making up a name and whole story about her turkey (there was glitter involved – HELP ME, OUR LORD AND SAVIOR BEYONCE).
When her turkey was done, she grabbed her tablet and made a little movie featuring it!
It was super cute and I loved how she combined hands on art with her love of technology.
// I may earn money from the companies mentioned in this post. //
- Use the provided template to either trace and cut out the patterns from the provided template OR print the pattern directly on the craft paper using a printer.
- Attach the wattle on the head part of the turkey body cut out and attach the legs on the bottom side.
- Attach the beak on the top side of the wattle. Attach the googly eyes.
- Flip the paper turkey to its wrong side. Grab attach the craft feathers on the back side of the paper turkey, making sure that the feathers are visible from the front side of the turkey.
- Mix and match different craft feathers to make a fun pattern.
- Take the wing cut outs of the turkey.
- Attach the wing cut outs on both sides of the turkey body part.
- Attach the paper turkey on a popsicle stick.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e Wireless Color All-in-One Printer with bonus 6 free months Instant Ink with HP+ (1K7K3A), Gray
200 Wooden Popsicle Craft Sticks
Wiggle Googly Eyes 1500 Pcs Black with Self-Adhesive 4mm-30mm Mixed for Creative DIY Crafts Decorations by CCINEE
Audamp Craft Feathers 300pcs Colorful Feathers for Craft DIY Wedding Home Party Decorations
Elmer's Liquid School Glue, Washable, Great for Making Slime, 4oz. Each, 12 Count
Blunt Tip Scissors
12 Pack of Pencils
480 Pack of Crayola Construction Paper